During the timeframe of Aug. 65 to June 66, Delta 1/7 lost ten members assigned to or attached to her ranks. This page is dedicated to their Sacrifice, their Honor, and their Memory.

Their lost lives shall not be forgotten..... Their deeds of heroism shall be remembered...... and their valor fully appreciated forever.....
Remember Them Always... RT

Georgette "Dickey" Meyer Chapelle
Civilian Combat Photographer

Dickey Chapelle was attached with Delta & Bravo 1/7 and was killed while on patrol with Bravo on 11/4/65. On the morning of Nov. 4, 1965, Dickey, on patrol with a platoon, she stood second in line behind the platoon leader, Lt. Mauriski in front of Sgt. Robert Picard. Making their way out of camp, the lieutenant tripped a hidden wire triggering a grenade and mortar that sent shrapnel flying. Dickey was thrown 20 feet and caught a piece of shrapnel in her neck. She died minutes later. Dickey once told a general, "When my time comes, I want it to be on a patrol with the Marines." She was the first member of the press killed during the Vietnam  War and the first American woman reporter killed in battle. One can't help wonder, with her love of the Marines and having spent her career striving to be the first, if she couldn't have written a better epitaph.  Read of her life,  HERE, & HERE,

Lcpl. Donald Warren Conn Jr.

Lcpl.  Donald Warren Conn Jr. was a regular enlisted Marine.

Donald was 19 years old and single at the time of his death.

Donald was born on September 6, 1946. He was from Loveland, Colorado.  His length of service was just 1 year.

Donald died on June 9, 1966
At the Company Command post in Binh Son District, Quang Ngai Province,  Republic of South Vietnam. LCpl Conn  in a defensive position, was mistaken for the enemy, and was killed by friendly small arms fire.

At the time of his death, Donald was serving with the 11th Marines, 2nd Battalion, G Battery. He was attached to Delta 1/7 as a FO, Forward Artillery Observer.

Donald's body was recovered. His religion was Protestant. Donald is interred in the Resthaven Cemetery, Fort Collins CO

Donald's name is listed on the Vietnam  War National Memorial in Washington, D.C. on  Panel 08E - - Line 26

"Rest in Peace Donald, you are missed by all who knew you."

LCpl. Robert Angelo Solórzano

LCpl.  Robert Angelo Solorzano was a regular enlisted Marine

Robert was 21 years old and single at the time of his death.

Robert was born on August 2, 1944. He was from New Orleans, Louisiana. His length of service was just 1 year.

Robert died on Novenber 3, 1965
while on Operation Black Ferret in the vicinity of Phu Le (3) Hamlet, in Binh Son District, Quang Ngai Province, Republic of South Vietnam.  Delta Co. received some incoming hostile enemy sniper fire. Cpl Solorzano from H&S Co. S-2 Section,  who was attached to Delta Co. was struck in the throat and killed in action by the enemy small arms sniper fire.

Robert's body was recovered. His religion was Roman Catholic.

Robert's name is listed on the Vietnam  War National Memorial in Washington, D.C. on 
Panel 03E - - Line 16

"Rest in Peace Robert, you are missed by all who knew you."
Cpl Ronald Paul Petrick

Cpl Ronald Paul Petrick was a regular enlisted  Marine .

Ronald was 21 years old and Single at the time of his death.

Ron was born on June 30, 1944 he was from Montclair, California. His Length of service was 3 years.

Ronald died on August 20, 1965
in  Quang Tin Province, On Operation Starlite, in the Binh Son District,  Republic of South Vietnam. His death was a result of  fragmentation wounds from friendly artillary fire. He died that day with his friend and fellow Marine,
Virgil Wayne Barton.

Ronald's body was recovered. His religion was Roman Catholic.

Ronald's name is listed on the Vietnam War National Memorial in Washington, D.C. on
Panel 02E - - Line 64

"Rest in Peace Ronald you are missed by all who knew you."

LCpl. Virgil Wayne Barton

LCpl. Virgil Wayne Barton  was a regular enlisted Marine.

Virgil was 20 years old and single at the time of his death.

Virgil was born on Feburary 18, 1945.
He was from San Diego, California. His length of service was 3 years.

Virgil died on August 21, 1965  LCpl. Barton, died from his wounds  on the ship " USS Iwo Jima".
Wounded in  Quang Tin Province, On Operation Starlite, in the Binh Son District,  Republic of South Vietnam. His death was a result of  fragmentation wounds from friendly artillary fire. He died on Aug. 21 a day after being wounded with his best friend and fellow Marine, 
Cpl Ronald Paul Petrick

Virgil's body was recovered. His religion was Protestant. Virgil is interred in the
Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery, San Diego, California

Virgil's name is listed on the Vietnam War National Memorial in Washington, D.C. on
Panel  02E - - Line 64

"Rest in Peace Virgil you are missed by all who knew you."
2nd Lt. Tyrone Sidney Pannell

2nd Lt Tyrone Sidney served as a Reserve Marine Officer. 

Tyrone was 24 years old and married at the time of his death.

Ty was born on October 23, 1941.
He was from Amityville, New York. His length of service was 4 years.

Tyrone died on November 30, 1965
in Quang Tin Province, Binh Son District, Republic Of South Vietnam. His death was a result of a hostile explosive device. A booby trap was tripped which caused an explosion resulting in the death of 2nd LT. Pannell of multiple fragmentation wounds.

Tyrone's body was recovered. His religion was Roman Catholic.

Tyrone's name is listed on the Vietnam War National Memorial in Washington, D.C. on
Panel  03E - - Line 118

"Rest in Peace Tyrone you are missed by all who knew you."

From Robert Abate
Admirer and Fellow-Alumnus

I knew of Tyrone Pannell - the athlete. We were the same age, in the same city, competing in track and field but the similarity ended there. He was one of New York City¹s finest and most versatile athletes ever and its premiere track and field star of the late 1950¹s and early 60¹s. In the Spring of 1997, I proposed his long overdue induction into the Manhattan College Sports Hall of Fame. It was only then, researching his accomplishments and meeting former classmates and teammates, that I learned about Tyrone Pannell - the person, and the outstanding human being that he was. I never had the privilege of meeting him but I had the pleasure of meeting his wife and daughter at his posthumous induction ceremony. I was stunned to learn from his daughter, Tracy, that he and I had been pretty close for many years. In 1985 I had bought a book: ³Dear America - Letters Home From Vietnam.² Unbeknownst to me, one of the letters was from twenty-three year old Marine Lieutenant Tyrone Pannell to his infant daughter:

August 11, 1965
Dear Tracy, The things I want to say to you can never be fully expressed in words. I want so very much to say the things that will make you understand how very much I love you. Before you were born I, like most men, wanted a son. But when I saw you for the first time just a few minutes old, I knew I could never love a son the way I loved you. For a son grows and becomes a man while a daughter is always a child to be loved and cared for. More than anything I want you to know me and love me. The next time I see you, you will be a little lady, walking and talking. Learn how to say, "Daddy, I love you with all my heart."
Love, Daddy

Most fittingly, his nomination was approved on the eve of Father¹s Day. From time-to-time, I jog at Manhattan College and when I do, I look up at Tyrone Pannell¹s Hall of Fame banner and sense his presence and a bond of brotherhood.

Posted Saturday, November 03, 2001
From Michael McCormack
I was his High School friend & teammate, brothers in arms
My Friend

Tyrone and I were students together at Bishop Loughlin MHS in Brooklyn, NY. We became friends when I was a sophomore and he was a freshman and we were both on Mr Miles' track team. Ty was a great athlete; he high jumped, and ran the 110 yard high hurdles and the sprints up to 300 yards. When he was a junior and I was a senior, our team became more balanced and we won the New York City CHSAA championship and quite a few other championships as well. Ty, John Geraghty, a miler, and Matt Schimenti our shotputter were our big stars. Ty went on to stardom at Manhattan College and the IC4A hurdles championship and I went to the Military Academy. We would see each other from time to time. My Mom and Dad got a big kick out of following Ty's triumphs, and they were broken hearted when he was killed. He was a great guy and a great friend and I miss him to this day. Rest in peace, Ty; I will never forget you or your sacrifice. Your brother in arms, Mike McCormack BLMHS 1959

Posted Thursday, March 16, 2000
From Thomas Mangan
We were College teammates

I met Ty in September 1962, when I joined the track team at Manhattan College. I was a walk-on, Ty was a star. But Ty was always friendly, and treated me with the utmost respect. And he taught me one of the most valuable lessons in my life.

During the cross-country season, nobody expected me to win, or even to score. My role was simply to finish ahead of the 5th runner from the other team, and as a freshman I did all right. In those days, freshmen ran a shorter course, but sophomores ran the full five miles. I had always paced myself so I would have a good strong kick when I came out of the hills. Ty thought I could do better.

Every day, after class, we would make our way down to The Flats, the huge field in Van Cortland Park, and we would run the five miles with a teammate or two. I always ran with the sophomores. Ty always ran with the best runners on the team. Then one day, after we had warmed up, I found myself standing next to Ty , just the two of us standing at the starting line. Ty looked at me and said, Keep up with me. He wanted me to start the race with a sprint to hills, so I would be near the front of the pack when I got to the hills, and would have fewer runner to pass on the narrow footpaths.

I sprinted as fast as I could, but Ty was a magnificent runner, one of the most wonderful runners I ever saw, and there was no way I could keep up with him. I was whipped by the time I reached the hills, but I could still see him, and I kept trying to stay with him. And I was surprised to find out that I still got my second wind and had a strong kick at the end.

Ty taught me that I had more in me than I thought I did. He was one of the finest people I ever met.

Posted Friday, November 30, 2001

Gathered here are a few testimonials that speak for the character and integrity of this Marine Hero    
Pfc. John Perry Gilliam

John Perry Gilliam served as a Regular enlisted Marine. 

John was 21 years old and single at the time of his death.

John was born on March  25, 1944.
He was from Oxnard, California. His length of service was 3 years.

John died on Febuary 26, 1966
in Quang Tin Province Republic Of South Vietnam. At the Company Command post , Pfc Gilliam died as a result of a fragmentation wound to the upper chest sustained from a bangalore torpedo he was using to clear a hedgerow for a field of fire.

His death was a result of a non-hostile ground accident.

John's body was recovered. His religion was Protestant. John is interred in the
Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery, San Diego, California

John's name is listed on the Vietnam War National Memorial in Washington, D.C. on
Panel 05E - - Line 80

"Rest in Peace John you are missed by all who knew you."

Cpl. Kenneth Ray Temples

Cpl. Kenneth Ray Temples served as a Regular enlisted Marine. 

Ken was 21 years old and married at the time of his death.

Kenneth was born on August 29, 1944.
He was from Lakeland, Florida. His length of service was 3 years.

Ken died on June 19, 1966
in Quang Ngai Province Republic Of South Vietnam. His death was a result of a hostile ground small arms fire when the vehicle he was driving was ambushed by enemy forces.

Ken's body was recovered. His religion was Protestant.

Ken is interred in the Bethel Baptist Church Cemetery
3125 Socrum Loop Rd West, Lakeland, FL

Photo courtsey Jim Daniels 2006

Kenneth's name is listed on the Vietnam War National Memorial in Washington, D.C. on
Panel 08E - - Line 63

"Rest in Peace Kenneth you are missed by all who knew you."

Cpl. Williams A. Jennings III

Cpl. William A Jennings III  was a regular enlisted Marine.

William  was 21 years old and single at the time of his death.

William  was born on May 22, 1944
He was from Corpus Christi, Texas. His length of service was 3 years.

William  died on December 13, 1965
in Quang Tin Province Republic Of South Vietnam. His death was a result of hostile wounds from small arms fire.
While on Operation Harvest Moon,
  a Delta Company security platoon received a large volume of automatic weapons and small arms fire wounding several Marines. Seriously wounded, Cpl Jennings was evacuated to B-Med Facility in Chu Lai and subsequently to an Army Hospital in Nha Trang were he died of his wounds.

William 's body was recovered. His religion was Roman Catholic. Bill is interred in the Seaside Memorial Park, Corpus Christie, Tx.

William 's name is listed on the Vietnam War National Memorial in Washington, D.C. on
Panel 04E - - Line 15

"Rest in Peace William  you are missed by all who knew you."

Sign InView Entries
Please sign this book to leave a personal remembrance for these Heroes.

If you have photos of these Heroes and want to contribute them, please contact the Webmaster
Delta 1/7 Memorial
65 /66
As Remembered by Bud Simmons,
Lcpl. Robert Angelo Solórzano friend and fellow soldier

  We were on a sweep through a cane field and came out into an opening. The opening was about 50 yards deep. We were about 20 yards out of the cane field and into an open rice paddy. Bobby had got up onto a dike in the rice paddy. He turned to ask me if I wanted a cigarette. Just as I answered Bobby, he turned to step back down off the dike. A sniper at the same time opened fire upon us with three rounds.

The first round hit Bobby in the neck in the left Jugular area. The second round I remember striking the water in the direct front of me. I went to Bobby and blood was coming from the wound he had just received. Later on I would find out from his father that the bullet had travel down into the left lung but did not exit. I was also told that no matter if a doctor was on location or not, Bobby would not have been saved. This was a fatal wound he received. I still have the Utility shirt I had on that day, with Bobby's blood still visible.  I would like to also mention that from the chopper to the hospital, Bobby's wallet, watch and ring disappeared. His father checked on the items from the Marine Corp for several years after his death but they were never returned.

People may not realize that Bobby was not an American citizen at the time of his death, He held both Nicaragua and Spanish citizenship. He had held duel citizenship for about 17 years. He had attended school at UNO ( University of New Orleans) for three years and was a pre-med major, prior to joining the Marines. His plans were to return to school after his three years enlistment. Bobby went to boot camp in San Diego. Bobby served with D-1-7, 3rd platoon, 2nd squad. In August of 1964 he was transferred into the S-1 section of 1st Batt.7th Marine.

Bobby and I were always together back in the states, and this was the reason he was with the 3rd platoon on the day he was shot, for we had not seen each other in several weeks, and was wanting to spend some time together to get caught up on news from back home. He and I went on holiday leave in late Dec 1964 for New Years of 1965. This would be his last trip home, for we left the states in 1965. He has three sisters and one brother still living in the New Orleans area. I know that Bobby's father was still alive three years ago.  At that time, the last I saw him, he still wouldn't talk, speak or watch anything about Vietnam. His dad is my oldest daughter's Godfather. His Dad will still not speak to me of Bobby's death to this day.  Bobby was killed the day before the reporter, Dickey Chapelle, was killed.  Bobby is interred in New Orleans.

Posted 6/25/04

Posted on  behalf of Corporal Robert Angelo Solorzano,
1st Battalion, 7th Marines, Vietnam (1965)  By,
Donald D. Brooks
S-2 Officer, 1st Bn., 7th Marine Regt.
Company Cmdr. D/1/7 (66)
Major, USMC (Ret.)

Cpl. Robert A. Solorzana was a member of the S-2 Section, 1st Bn., 7th Marines while serving in the Republic of Vietnam, 1965.  He was attached to Delta Company, 1st Bn., 7th Marines as a Scout.  His duties required him to collect and disseminate immediate intelligence information about the enemy, process and interrogate Prisoners of War, coordinate collection efforts regarding enemy activities with other friendly forces and perform other duties as may be required in detecting and disrupting enemy activities against U. S. Marines.

In addition to performing his duties as a Scout, he also performed duties as a Rifleman in support of Company D's Combat operations against the Viet Cong and NVA forces.  It was during one of these operations that Cpl Solorzano was shot through the neck by a Viet Cong sniper and died of his wound on the 3rd of November 1965.  The news of his death was a shock and the cause of much sadness to me and many other members of our Battalion.

Corporal Solorzano will always be remembered as being an outstanding Marine who was devoted and loyal to his fellow Marines and the Marine Corps.  He always displayed a high degree of spirit, humor and respect for others and great pride in the performance of his duties.  He always had a great attitude regardless of how difficult the situation seemed, accompanied by an infectious smile.  As I write this I can still see that smile after all these years.  I know he believed in prayer and the Almighty, as he attended Mass (Church) whenever he had the opportunity to do so.

I hope that his parents, relatives and friends are able to view this Memorial Site so that they will know how much he was respected by his fellow Marines and Navy Corpsman who served with him.  He was a fine young man and Marine.

It has been an honor and privilege to have known him and for him to have been a part of my life.  My prayers for him will continue to be said until the day I too "must report to a Higher Authority."

Corporal Robert Angelo Solorzano was truly a credit to his family, the Marine Corps and to his fellow Marines who served with him in the 1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment.  He will never be forgotten.

Posted  6/24/04

Posted on  behalf of  Corporal Kenneth Ray Temples
1st Battalion, 7th Marines, Vietnam (1965)  By,
Donald D. Brooks
S-2 Officer, 1st Bn., 7th Marine Regt.
Company Cmdr. D/1/7 (66)
Major, USMC (Ret.)

I am providing the following facts to perpetuate the memory of Corporal Kenneth Ray Temples who served with Delta Co. 1st Bn., 7th Marines in the Republic of Vietnam 1965-1966.

Cpl. Temples was a Marine Rifleman (0311) assigned to the Company Headquarters performing a variety of duties to include, but not limited to, runner, radioman, security and vehicle operator. (Co. driver) He was an excellent Marine performing numerous tasks without having to be given detailed instructions on how to and when to do such tasks.  He appeared to be an innovator doing things that benefited all of the Delta Co., Marines.

Most of Cpl. Temples' duties were those of being a Rifleman accompanying the Hqtrs. Group during the many patrols and operations that were conducted throughout the Quang Nigh Province of Vietnam.  During the second week in June 1966 the Co. Combat Base was moved to a new location named, Conn Hill, (in memory of Lcpl. Donald W. Conn, Jr.  See his Memorial  Site).  Because of this event the Co. had to utilize motor vehicles to move men and supplies to and from the 1st. Bn. Hqtrs.  This is when Cpl. Temples assumed his duty as Company Driver on a more regular basis.  The route to and from the Sang Tra Bong  (where ferrying of supplies across the river was made) and Conn Hill was a hazardous one to say the least. Initially we had none or few problems with the VC, but it was just a matter of time before we would start having problems moving vehicles over the route.

On the 19th of June 1966 Cpl. Temples, the Co. First Sergeant and two other Marines had crossed the Song Tra Bong (river) and were enroute to Delta Co. (forward-Conn Hill.)  The group was ambushed by the VC.   Cpl. Temples was driving the jeep and was hit above the left eye with the first burst of enemy rifle fire causing his death.

My memory of Cpl. Kenneth R. Temples was that he was an excellent Marine, devoted and loyal to his fellow Marines.  I admired him on how he carried out his duties in such a thorough and self-confident manner requiring minimal or no supervision to ensure they were performed.  His demeanor, attitude, pride and outgoing personality were exemplary.  He was highly respected by all of the Marines he served with in Delta Co. 1/7 and will always be remembered as a credit to his Country and the Marine Corps and his unit.

The Marines of Delta Company, 1st Bn., 7th Marine Regt. will never forget that he made the ultimate sacrifice and our prayers will always be with him and his family.

Posted 6/26/04

Posted on  behalf of  Corporal Kenneth Ray Temples
1st Battalion, 7th Marines, Vietnam (1965)  By,
Charles Carmin
1st Sgt. Delta Co. 1st Bn., 7th Marine Regt.
USMC (Ret.)

Delta company was assigned a Company Tactical Area of Responsibility (TAOR) within the Battalion TAOR. In the company TAOR a combat base or Delta forward was established. A mighty mite (Jeep) trailer and driver was assigned each Rifle Company and was used to transport supplies, mail and personnel between Delta rear at battalion headquarters and Delta forward. When I first arrived at Delta Company my company driver was a Marine named Corporal Temple. Corporal Temple was classified a short timer for he only had a month to go in Vietnam. Shortly after my arrival he was killed in an ambush just south of Chu Lai.

I had been in country a week or two. Delta forward was across the Song Tra Bong River two or three miles from battalion and Delta rear. To reach Delta forward we had to cross the river on a Navy LCM (Landing Craft Mechanized) we used as a ferry. First Sergeants of rifle companies usually stayed at battalion and the company rear office, but I always felt a First Sergeant of a unit should be in the field with his troops. For this reason I did much commuting between Delta rear and Delta forward position in order to stay with the bulk of what I now considered my company.

   At this time company strength was about 120 to 140 Marines. Our company mission involved heavy patrolling and setting of ambushes within our TAOR. With Delta Company at half strength, the commanding officer felt we needed to keep every man possible in the field at Delta forward. One day while at Delta rear, three men returned from the hospital. It was starting to get late but we needed bodies at Delta forward. Loading the three men in back of a mighty mite, we departed for Delta forward. Crossing the river, we left the ferry landing and traveled fifty yards down a road that made a sharp bend before it entered a village (Ville). Fifty yards from the ferry crossing on the left side of the road was a very large pile of rocks and brush. Rounding the bend, Temple slowed the jeep and said," This doesn't look right".

Temple knew there were usually a bunch of kids and women along the road trying to sell bananas, but at this time the road was vacant and quiet. We had always received sniper fire between battalion and Delta forward; so I told everyone to be alert and for Temple to kick the mite in the ass. Just as we started to accelerate and about 25 feet from the rocks, a grenade sailed out, exploding 3 or 4 yards in front of our mite. At the same time an automatic rifle opened up and the hornets started to buzz very close. The first round hit Temple just above the left eye. Blood spurted out of his head. As he slumped forward, he reached and turned off the ignition, stopping the vehicle. Seeing no muzzle flashes, but from the sound I knew we were receiving fire from an Automatic weapon and several riflemen from the left front. Bailing out of the mite and crouching down by the right front wheel, I began returning fire while shouting at my three Marines in the mite to get the hell out of the vehicle and take cover. Incoming small arms fire was heavy and somehow all three Marines had flattened themselves out in back of the vehicle. At first they didn't want to get out; but with a few choice words they got out and into a ditch, returning fire. Not sure what we were up against, I sent one Marine back to the ferry landing to bring up the boat crew to help us out. Evidently this young Marine was more frightened than the rest of us. He cracked up a few weeks later and was med-evaced, never to return to the company. This entire action took place in 2 or 3 minutes; and by the time the ferry crew arrived, all was quiet.

   Moving Temple out of his seat, I tried to start the mite and turn it around. In my excitement I pulled the starter knob off of its shaft and could not get the mite started. Having a trailer on the mite with mail and rations for Delta forward, we unhooked it and turned our vehicle around, pushing it to the ferry crossing. Being scared and excited, I forgot to hook the trailer up before starting to the ferry crossing. One of the Marines reminded me of our mail and we returned to drag the trailer down to the ferry crossing. The ferry had beached 75 yards down from its normal landing site. Unable to push our vehicle in the soft sand of the beach, we left it and the trailer on the open beach.

   Picking Temple up in a fireman carry, I started down the beach and towards the ferry. Snipers opened up from a hill 200 yards to our rear. Carrying the dead weight of Temple and trying to run in soft sand, I was soon exhausted. One of the men came back and grabbing Temple by his arms, we managed to drag him to the ferry. The ferry had beached just below Alpha Company so I walked up to Alpha Command Post (CP) to make a Situation Report (SITREP) to battalion.

   While at Alpha Company's position, an Alpha outpost (OP) spotted 20 Vietcong (VC), with weapons running along the beach. An Alpha forward observer called in artillery fire on them but with unknown results. Later after recovering the mite and trailer, we returned to battalion and Delta rear. On arrival at battalion Temple was taken to battalion aid and I reported to S-3 (operations) to complete my report. After making my report, I received a good ass chewing from my Battalion Commander. It seems orders were issued that only convoys of at least two vehicles would travel between Delta Co and battalion. In my desire to be with my company, I had not paid attention to battalion standard operating procedures (Sop's). Temple and I had been traveling this road for over a week, receiving only sniper fire. I still feel bad about Temple's death and to some extent feel it was my fault. If the circumstances were the same and with no knowledge of such an order, I would take the same action I did that day. Using hindsight, I should have halted the vehicle when Temple said, "Something is not right."

Dismounted my troops and moved them forward to check out the area. Possibly I could have averted being ambushed and the loss of life. Two lessons learned were 1. Make sure you are aware of all Sops and Unit orders when you join a unit. 2. When normal activity is absent in an area, "WATCH OUT".

   It is now November of the year 2002 and I have to add a little to this story.  I received a message from my old company clerk Ralph Easley who had made contact with another Delta company marine then a L/Cpl. named  Gregory Seeley who now lives in Tennessee.  Ralph told me that Seeley  felt he was at fault for Temple's death because he was suppose to be the company driver at that time.  Temple only had a few days left before rotation and since Seeley was shaving and cleaning up Temple took the run out to Delta forward.  In fact he was wearing Seeley's helmet.  After talking to Seeley I told him he had no blame in this incident for I had given the order to proceed and if  blame was to be had it was mine.

Posted 6/26/04

Webmasters note; There should be no blame shared in War for death, but to those who would so easily sacrifice their children, in the killing of others, for the forwarding of their ideals and principles and not for self  preservation alone.... RT

Posted on  behalf of  Corporal Kenneth Ray Temples
1st Battalion, 7th Marines, Vietnam (1965)  By,
Larry R. Napier
First Sergeant U. S. M. C. (Retired)

As a Marine Corporal attached to Delta Company 1st. Battalion Seventh Marines, 1st. Marine Division in 1966, I had the honor of serving with Cpl. Temples. In combat, Kenneth Temples was an outstanding young Marine that gave his all to his fellow Marines and to his country. He is missed by all Marines of Delta Company and anyone that ever knew him in life.

The day of June 19th. 1966 as I remember it...

The "Skipper," Captain D.D. Brooks, Assigned 1st. Sgt. Carmin to return to the Bn. Hq. (located south of Chu-Lai) by jeep from our forward position (Conn Hill). This required a security force of two rifleman (not known) to me, And a driver (Cpl. Temples), very well known to me. Cpl. Temples being assigned as driver by 1st.Sgt. Carmin, started getting his gear together for the drive across the river (Song Tra Bong) near the Village of Ten Hut. Cpl. Temples found that his helmet was in use by L/Cpl. G. Seeley (one of his closest friends) to clean up in. Seeley had just returned from a combat patrol. Temple also grabbed  up Seeleys rifle to take on this assignment. The trip to Headquarters was completed without problems. After the men crossed the river on the way back to the forward unit is when things started to happen. Just out side the Village of Ten Hut the Marines encountered an ambush from the left side of the small road. It was here that Cpl. Temples was Killed with almost the first shot fired. "It was later reported to us that Cpl. Temples had pulled the Jeep off the road and turned off the Jeep before dying."

In the first part of July 1966 a combat patrol from Delta Company killed a VC. in the sand dunes. They recovered a diary from the dead VC that had an entry of the June 19th. Ambush on the road outside "Ten Hut" where Temples was Killed. This information was provided to us by the S-2 section a few days after the diary was recovered.

I will remember Kenneth Temples all my life as a good Marine and as a good Friend, And I will see him later, Of this I am sure.

"I'll see you on the high ground Ken," Larry

Posted 6/30/04

Posted on  behalf of Lance Corporal Donald Warren Conn, Jr.,
1st Battalion, 7th Marines, Vietnam (1965)  By,
Donald D. Brooks
S-2 Officer, 1st Bn., 7th Marine Regt.
Company Cmdr. D/1/7 (66)
Major, USMC (Ret.)

To perpetuate the memory of Lance Corporal Donald Warren Conn, Jr. the following are some facts about him while attached to Delta Co., 1/7 in the Republic of Vietnam 1966.

Lance Corporal Conn's parent unit was the 11th Marine Regiment and was assigned to Delta Company to perform those duties as Artillery Forward Observer (FO).  His duties involved the requisition of, adjusting and firing of artillery on enemy positions, targets of opportunity and direct artillery fire as the tactical situation may dictate.

Lance Corporal Conn was a very likable young man having an exceptionally pleasant outgoing personality.  He was liked by all the members of Delta Company as he was always cheerful and friendly to all.

LCpl. Conn's death was the result of an accidental shooting.  A new member to the Company was assigned security duty with Conn who had the Artillery FO watch.  During the night, which was an extremely low visibility one, LCpl Conn was moving around and the new member of the Company mistook him for a Viet Cong and opened fire, causing Conn to suffer multiple wounds from which he died.  This terrible tragedy was a shock to all members of Delta Company.  Because of his popularity with all the troops, when the Company moved to a new Combat Base, the new location was named Conn Hill in his honor.

I shall never forget this fine young Marine as I thought a lot of him.  I have prayed for him, his parents and family members on a regular basis and always will.

Posted 6/30/04

This page was last updated on: July 23, 2017
Posted on  behalf of  Private First Class John Perry Gilliam
1st Battalion, 7th Marines, Vietnam (1965)  By,
Donald D. Brooks
S-2 Officer, 1st Bn., 7th Marine Regt.
Company Cmdr. D/1/7 (66)
Major, USMC (Ret.)

In memory of Private First Class John Perry Gilliam who was a member of Delta Company, 1st Bn., 7th Marines while serving in the Republic of Vietnam 1965-1966.  I am submitting the following facts to perpetuate his memory.

Private First Class Gilliam was a member of the 3rd Platoon of Delta Co., assigned primary duties as a Rifleman.  In performing those duties he was involved in numerous combat operations against the Viet Cong and the NVA (North Vietnamese Army).  He proved to be an exemplary Marine who performed various assigned tasks in a highly efficient and thorough manner requiring little or no supervision.  He contributed much effort and energy to the overall mission of his Platoon and the Company.

Private First Class Gilliam was an extremely fine Marine who was very highly thought of.  He was liked by all his fellow Marines for his cooperative nature, friendliness, "can do" spirit, devotion, loyalty and willing to go out of his way to help his comrades.

The nature of Private First Class Gilliam's death was a freak, one in a million accident.  Marine engineers were clearing hedgerows in the 3rd Plt's assigned sector of our Combat Base, utilizing explosive charges.  After three "fire in the holes" were shouted everyone was to take cover and then the explosives would be detonated.

It is not known why Pvt. Gilliam did not take cover for a piece of metal shrapnel from the explosion pierced his chest killing him almost immediately. His death was a tragedy that had an impact on all the members of Delta Company.

I have thought of him often for all of these years since his death and have prayed for him and his family.  I hope that if they ever view this Memorial Site that they will have a sense of peace knowing what a fine young man and outstanding Marine he was.

Posted 7/6/04

Posted on  behalf of  2nd Lt. Tyrone Sidney Pannell,
1st Battalion, 7th Marines, Vietnam (1965)  By,
Donald D. Brooks
S-2 Officer, 1st Bn., 7th Marine Regt.
Company Cmdr. D/1/7 (66)
Major, USMC (Ret.)

To memorialize and perpetuate the memory of 2nd Lieutenant Tyrone Sidney Pannell who was a member of Delta Company, 1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment while serving in the Republic of Vietnam, 1965, the following is provided.

I first met Lt. Pannell when he was assigned to the 1st Bn., 7th Marines located in Chu Lai, Vietnam.  He spent two weeks or more at Battalion being briefed waiting assignment to a Rifle Company.  During this period he spent much of his time with 1st Lt. Voigt and me for his "in country" orientation.

What I remember about him is that he was intelligent, had a great sense of humor, extremely cordial, and had an infectious smile and demeanor of self -confidence and "gung ho" attitude.  He was a very pleasant person to be around and associate with.  I very much respected and liked him.

When the decision was made to send him to Delta Company as a Platoon Commander he was very eager and excited about the assignment.  However, he told me he needed a pair of boots as some of his gear had been misplaced.  I had an almost new pair of "rough outs" boots that were his size and agreed to loan them to him or trade for his boots when and if they ever arrived.

On the 30th of November 1965 while on patrol a booby trapped artillery round was set off with much of the explosive force hitting Lt. Pannell killing him instantly.  A number of other Marines were also seriously wounded,

The news of his death was a great shock to all of us even though we knew him for a short duration; he had left a tremendous impression on those whom had personal contact with him.  As I am writing this I have a vision of him as though he were here in my presence.

Lt. Pannell has been and always will be in my prayers.  I also pray for the members of his family and hope that they will have some peace of mind knowing what a fine Marine and person Tyrone was and that he still lives in our hearts and minds.

Posted 7/8/04

Walt Ryan and Bill Jennings on the right. They were at Camp Schwab Okinawa 1965 just prior to departure to Vietnam.
"Photo Courtesy of Walt Ryan "
LCpl. Donald Warren Conn Jr. Leaning over a 50 cal. taken a few days before his death. Marine behind the gun is Sgt. William N. Zingsheim, Weapons platoon D/1/7 (TAPS June 8, 2012)
"Photo Courtesy of  Donald M. Collier"
Cpl. Ronald Paul Petrick at Camp Pendleton in 1965. He was with Lima 3/5 at that time.
"Photo Courtesy  of  Robert Picard"
Posted on  behalf of  Cpl. Ronald Paul Petrick and Lcpl. Virgil Wayne Barton
1st Battalion, 7th Marines, Vietnam (1965) 
By, David Jordan, Company XO / weapons platoon commander
1st Bn., 7th Marine Regt.

At the time of there death, all of the 1/7 had replaced the "afloat Battalion" This was the, {on call, first to land, ready Battalion, for the 3d Marine Division}. This battalion had been aboard air conditioned Navy ships and were therefore "shocked" by the heat and humidity ashore. They had suffered, in addition to KIA and WIA from the VC Regiment operating in the area, unacceptable heat casualties. This fact necessitated their replacement. I don't remember which company of the "afloat Battalion." our Delta Company replaced. I do remember that we were in a company perimeter deployment and that the replacement had taken place in late afternoon.  We essentially occupied the same defensive positions / holes they, afloat battalion, had prepared.  This would have been either the 21st or the 22d of August 1965, Delta company at this time had been "in country" for one (1) week. 

The incident involving Petrick and Barton occurred very late that night or in the early morning hours of the next day.  We heard (2) very loud explosions, very close together.  We thought it was incoming from the VC.  Both Ronald Paul Petrick and Virgil Wayne Barton were out of, but adjacent to, their fighting hole positions.  Both were seriously wounded from the artillery rounds subsequently dying of their wounds.  Both were Good Marines.

After the sun came up in the morning something unusual occurred.  In addition to all the Marines and Corpsmen there were several people walking around in Khakis. It turned out that they were U.S. Navy personnel investigating the time and the impact area of the artillery rounds that had killed Petrick and Barton.

We learned later that the incoming artillery fire that had seriously wounded and killed Ronald Petrick and Virgil Barton were two (2) 5 inch rounds fired by a U.S. Navy Destroyer as H & I  or harassing and interdiction fire. H & I fire is used on no particular target, but fired on  suspected assembly areas or trail junctions which might be used by the enemy.

The Navy was very concerned about their friendly firing error and the death of two Marines.  The basis for the error in firing was the maps being used. Everyone ashore was using French maps or maps that were based on French data. The Navy was using Japanese charts or charts that were based on Japanese data. It was discovered that there was a 1500 meter differential in the basic data between the French and Japanese data. The result was the death of two Marines by friendly fire.

Posted 8/6/04

May 18, 1965, Quantico Marine Sprint Medaly Relay Team
Lt. Charles Buchta (coach), Pfc. James Stewart, Lt. Tyrone Pannell, Lt. Frank Tomeo
"Photo Courtesy  of  Gunnery Sgt. Barrett Williams (Ret)"
"Click On Photo To Enlarge"
Seen here Dickey lower left and R. J. Dumas upper left,
G.T. Simmons, and A. J. Rohl
A haunting photo of the last moments of life for
Georgette "Dickey" Meyer Chapelle, Civilian Combat Photographer. This photo was taken by Photojournalist Henri Huet who was also killed in action in Laos in 1971 when his helicopter was shot down. In this photo  Navy Chaplain Lt. John McNamara of Boston  is giving Dickey her last rights.  This photo would appear again in a book  called  "REQUIEM ", a book By The Photographers Who Died In Vietnam and Indochina

Edited By Horst Faas and Tim Page

Click on the logo to visit the  Delta 1/7 Website
Bill Jennings and Sgt. Jimmy Ray Henson in Vietnam in 1965
Bill Jennings and Sgt. Jimmy Ray Henson in Vietnam 1965
Bill Jennings Vietnam 1965
Father John Mc Namara and Capt. D.D. Brooks, commanding officer Delta,  Vietnam 65/66
Chester E. Worman Jr.
Ron Petrick enjoying some free time
Tyrone's Daughter Tracy at the Wall with her Delta brothers on May 18, 2007. She is doing a rubbing of her Father's name.
Tyrone's Daughter Tracy  & Granddaughter Epiphany at the Delta 1/7 reunion in Washington D.C.  on May 18, 2007.  Epiphany will be 3 years old on Aug. 11 2007 the same day her Grandfather wrote the letter to her Mother, Tracy, as seen above.
For those who may be interested Supplied by Vic  Vilionis curator of the 1/7 Marine history
Vic's  1/7 Home
Virgil's obituary Click on photo to enlarge
Virgil's notification letters Click on photo to enlarge
Ken's final resting place
Temples, Cpl. Kenneth RFuneral services will be held 10 am, Saturday, at the Lake  Wire Church of God  with the Rev. W. W. Thomas, pastor Eastside Church of God, officiating.  Interment will follow in of Gentry-Morrison Funeral Home.  The Eighth Engineer Company, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Orlando will furnish Military Escort and Graveside services with Rev. John Hunt, Corps Chaplin, offering Communal Prayer.  Friends may call at the funeral home today from 3 until 9 o’clock
Ray's photo credit shaired with  Dayton Sherrouse & Jim Daniels.

Click here for Chester E. Worman Jr's. memorial page
Maj. Donald D. Brooks, commanding officer Delta,  Vietnam 65/66 retired,  in 2016
Behind The Pearl Earrings: The Story of Dickey Chapelle, Combat Photojournalist
Dickey Chapelle, Combat Photojournalist is buried in the Forest HomeCemetery in Milwaukee,
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA
Click here for more info